All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dashcams, and their fun recordings.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:55 pm 

Well, given the number of times I've nearly been sideswiped this past week, among other things, I got a dashcam.

I ended up going with the BlackVue DR650GW-2CH based on the reviews, and the testing videos I've seen.
They also offer a truck version, which if I like this one, I'll be getting for my brother.

I was leaning towards a gopro, but decided front/back video was a better idea, since I've been tailgated by the law more times than I can count...

Anyone else have a cam, or use a gopro as one?

01 Tibb
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 am

Post subject: Re: Dashcams, and their fun recordings.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:31 pm 

After watching Ethans videos, I'm dying to get one. Maybe that will be my xmas present to myself!

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:26 pm 

Looks like a nice setup. The biggest downfall to the gopro's is battery life, especially when using the wifi feature. I ended up buying two extra batteries so I can rotate between them (luckily they're really cheap). I'll get around 2-3 hours constant recording on one battery. There's a motovlogger by the name of en187 who makes a battery eliminator kit, which allows you to use any USB battery pack you want for nearly unlimited recording, but to use it you have to use a non-waterproof Gopro case. I'm sure it would be possible to wire it right to your ride for a dashcam type setup, but I haven't seen it done.

For future reference, I use a Gopro hero 3+ silver, and wasabi power batteries. I've read gopro's are kinda picky about which memory cards you use in them. Something about the write speed of the card has to be a certain speed. I use a sandisk ultra I think, 64gig and as long as I format it in the camera after I've used it in the computer I don't have any issues.

1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:32 pm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:15 pm 

E, you may want to look into one of these. http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Battery-Eli ... B017FB0ZPQ

They proclaim it to fit the factory case, and be waterproof.

01 Tibb
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:04 pm 

Looks nice, at nearly double the case thickness it would require some extra pieces for my mount. But it's cheap enough it's worth a shot. It would be perfect if I side mounted my Gopro, but that's way to noticeable.

1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:32 pm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:44 pm 

You might also want to look into the quadcopter battery eliminator cables for them, some look slim enough to fit inside the case, with a small hole for the cable.

01 Tibb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:57 pm 

I'm going to start populating this thread with the insanity of my commute to work and back.

First up, we have this lovely person...

I have it doing full audio/video recording, so it gets everything, including the radio.

I tweaked the accelerometer event recording triggers when I pulled that clip, so hopefully I won't blow through 16G of space in under 6 hours like I currently am.

EDIT: Just bought a 128GB µ-SD card for $34.00 to alleviate some of the data cramping.
I remember when a 256MB USB drive was around $250.00. I bought one when they came out... :shock:

01 Tibb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:29 am 

Walt - this rocks! Why don't I have one of these yet!?

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:43 pm 

Jeremy, probably the same reason I had, cost.
They're around $350 for a good setup with front/back, and mosf aren't exactly "swap the suction cups to the other car" compatible.

I can bounce you the amazon link to the one I bought if you want, along with the link to the SD card.

01 Tibb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:43 am 

300D50 wrote:
I'm going to start populating this thread with the insanity of my commute to work and back.

First up, we have this lovely person...

I have it doing full audio/video recording, so it gets everything, including the radio.

I tweaked the accelerometer event recording triggers when I pulled that clip, so hopefully I won't blow through 16G of space in under 6 hours like I currently am.

EDIT: Just bought a 128GB µ-SD card for $34.00 to alleviate some of the data cramping.
I remember when a 256MB USB drive was around $250.00. I bought one when they came out... :shock:

Now, that looks nice!

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:39 am