All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ethan's 60 gallon reef tank build
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:55 pm 

New updates coming, but first a video.

See the little clear looking bugs crawling around in there? Those are pods, just to give you an idea of how small these can be, the ones you see crawling around are about medium size.

I can't get the embed to work so you'll just have to click the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbFTxJJdy_w&sns=em

1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:32 pm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:55 pm 

The bulk of new equipment arrived yesterday. Now the only other thing I need to get is an auto top off system, and I need to build a cabinet to sit next to the tank for supplies and food and stuff.

First I got a new refugium light. The one I was using before was an led light previously used on my brothers freshwater tank. It was old and used a rubber band to hold the power switch in hahaha. It wasn't nearly small enough to properly mount on the tank either.

This is actually a full spectrum plant growth bulb so it should help the macros to thrive

Next is the power head. I bought one with a controller so I could have some adjustability as far as speed and frequency. This thing will actually make a wave in the tank if I turn it up full power. I was a little worried about how small it was when I unpacked it but it seems plenty strong enough. It attaches to the tank using a magnet. Extra flow in the tank helps stir up detritus (reef dirt) so it can be filtered out instead of settling in the bottom. It also helps imitate a natural environment for the fish and coral.

And finally a digital heater controller and titanium heater. Maintains a set temperature and also gives a read out of current tank temperature. Much better imo than those stick on thermometers where you always have to guess at the temp. Uses an external temp probe separate from the heater for accuracy, also has a high temperature and low temperature alarm.

Heating element on the left side of the sump in the drain section

Temp probe on the right side in the return section.

Full sump shot with new light and controllers mounted in the back.

This wiring is all still a mess. I need to do some cable management here. From left to right is the power head controller, heater controller, the two black boxes rubber banded together are timers for the lights, blue LEDs come on first, then the whites, then at night the whites shut off first, then the blues. All plugged into a surge protected power strip.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:06 pm 

Damn. Things are getting serious up in this fish tank. This looks like the future.

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 pm 

These two pictures are 7 days apart, same lighting. Notice how most of the brown algae (diatoms) is fading pretty quickly. Same lighting in both pictures but it looks almost completely different.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:39 am 

Wow! That is crazy. You need your own nature channel on YouTube. I could watch aquariums being built all day long.

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:54 pm 

Not a whole lot going on right now. Still haven't decided how I want to skin the stand but I did build a cabinet off to the side to store food and supplies, and a 5 gallon bucket for auto top off which arrives today.

I was able to clean up the wiring a good bit using zip ties and those stick on zip tie bases.

I also bought a new clownfish. This one should be male already and I think the two are already paired up. I'm not sure if the male is old enough yet, but as long as I keep both of them happy, they should lay eggs in the tank which I can take to a friend of mine to hatch and raise.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:40 am 

Have you considered making videos on this? I feel like there has to be a market for videos on how you build all of this. I know how good you are with the gopro, so this seems like an obvious use for it!

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:11 pm 

I haven't considered that but I suppose I could. There's lots of videos on the subject already out there though, and even a few big saltwater aquarium forums. Reef2reef seems to be the most active and popular these days.

I picked up an extreme misbar clown to go with my orange one. They paired up almost immediately and have been together ever since. The male will split off from the female every once in a while but he doesn't stay separated for long.

Also got my Aqua medic ato setup. Works great. I went with this one because it uses 3 float sensors, the main optical sensor in the sump, with a back up sensor to prevent an over flow. Also has a float sensor in the ato container to let you know when your container gets low and prevents the pump from running dry.

I don't see a lot of people using Aqua medic stuff but I'm pretty happy with it. Their products are priced well and seem well made. The only complaint I have so far is their power plugs are huge because they're universal as far as country goes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:31 pm 

Punk clownfish, going against the natural order. ;)

01 Tibb
04 RX-8
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:01 pm 

Two new additions! The first being one of my favorite fish, and imo one of the most attractive by far, a green mandarin. I've had one in the past but it died from starvation. These fish are really hard to get to eat frozen foods, and almost exclusively eat pods. Now that I have a larger system, and a sump where pods can reproduce without being decimated by this little guy, hopefully I can make this one last. I did have a little bit of luck getting it to eat a few pieces of frozen food soaked in vitamin supplements, but not consistently.

Second a lawnmower blenny. This guy is an algae eater and will hopefully keep a lot of nuisance algae in check.

Neither of these fish are open water swimmers. The lawnmower is much like the clown goby, many people actually call them rock skippers, they'll kinda jump from rock to rock in search of algae to eat. The mandarin swims a bit like a drone flies, kinda just hovering about looking for pods on the rocks, sand and glass.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:01 pm 

You know a lot about fish, and videos. You gotta make that YouTube channel. ITS YOUR DESTINY!

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:57 pm 

Got my rodi water system yesterday. I've been using just regular carbon filtered water from an older system I have, and while it does remove chlorine and chlorimines, it doesn't remove tds. Water from this new unit is totally pure, and should help with algae issues. I have it hooked up to my cold water washing machine line, seems to work pretty good. I get about 3.5-4 gallons per hour from it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:38 pm 

Around my area, we have what is called "maple season" when all of the local maple syrup makers essentially party and make maple flavored things. It's weird, but amazing and delicious. I'm talking about maple-bacon-wrapped, maple-flavored hot dogs, dipped in fresh maple syrup. YUP. You read that right. Anyway - the point of this whole story is that one of the places that makes this delicious syrup also had this giant machine that did exactly what you are talking about here. Reverse osmosis / deionization. It looked like a lot of fun to play with because it had gauges, knobs, and buttons. Anyways, thats my whole story. Feel free to say "Cool story bro" lol

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:45 am 

bro, just move over here nd u can jump into that tank. !

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:00 pm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:04 pm 

I wish! That would be so awesome. I would like to scuba dive, maybe someday.

Jeremy - maple bacon wrapped maple flavored hot dogs sound amazing!