All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The future - car forums? Mobile? Drivetribe?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:01 am 

Hi Guys!
It feels like most of the car forums that I hang out on are becoming less used, and I assume you guys are seeing the same. Facebook groups are pretty popular, but they don't allow for proper documentation of build threads, and FB groups also are terrible for searching for historical data. Those are the two biggest reasons that HRCS exists. Instagram is okay, but still not great for build threads in my opinion. Though maybe I just havent seen it done properly there. The problem I'm seeing is that everything is going to mobile, and forums aren't great for that, at least not right now. (By no means am I suggesting that HRCS is going anywhere BTW. I'm more just wondering what you guys are seeing in your travels.)

Questions for you:
- Have you guys seen drivetribe? What do you think? Is that style of site the future "forum"?
- Have you seen a mobile friendly forum?
- Where do you see awesome build threads that are NOT on forums and ARE community-based? (Not something like buildthreads.com. Though they are super awesome, it is not a community like forums or FB is.)
- Are you guys using mobile to post on here when you do, or is it all desktop?
- What do you think the future holds for gearheads on the internet?

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

Post subject: Re: The future - car forums? Mobile? Drivetribe?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:49 am 

Everything I do on here is on my phone.

89 mighty max -4g swap in progress
04 F150 daily driver / gas hog :-/

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:47 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:50 pm 

I still believe this style forum is the best for build threads and stuff like that. I find that lots of forums do have mobile versions, but the mobile versions lack a lot of features that the desktop versions have. Either that or features are hard to find in the mobile version. Pretty much everything I post here is from my phone.

1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:32 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:08 pm 

I tend to post from my phone, and I also tend to turn off the "mobile feature" crap on other forums. It usually screws things up, or removes features I use.

I haven't really found anything besides forums to be a good fit.

01 Tibb
04 RX-8
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:04 pm 

Interesting! I really wish there was something better, but I don't know what it is....yet. :)

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:16 pm 

I haven't seen drivetribe.

I can't stand the mobile forum apps.

Builds that I see that are awesome are generally posted here or when I occasionally get on pirate. Thats a cool forum just for the huge amount of people on it, but theres a lot of rotten apples on there also and they do insane builds on there.

If I'm gonna do very much at all on a forum its got to be desktop. Unless I'm anticipating a post or think someone is anticipating a post from me. Its all desktop.
Futures scary. I don't fiddle with my vehicles much any more. Still need to motor swap and SAS the blue truck then I'll have to find something else to work on. Been messing around with my bosses VW van. Its neat kind of want one. Totally weird how they are built.

Forums are hit and miss for me anymore. I like checking up on the HRCS but unless I'm just killing time I don't log on to many forums.

Majority of what I do anymore is going camping/hunting/figuring out what all I need to do to my KLR stuff like that. And the camping forums get super yuppie and the hunting forums get super right wing. And both get scary real quick. All the bike forums I've been on are huge which is nice but not they're not inviting or really community based like the HRCS or the old mighty d50 was and those are the forums that got me started liking/using in the first place.

I also found myself pondering the other day if I didn't have a pile of old mitsus laying around if I'd even care about them anymore. And then also though if I could find something else I liked bought and attained a few parts rigs. I'd be tempted to make that switch.

I think that covers all the questions :mrgreen:

Ad Inexplorta

Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:14 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:19 am 

That covers it Kerby! And I actually lol'ed at the camping/hunting forum sentence. Nicely done.

2016 Subaru Impreza