All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: The new honda
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:46 pm 

Hopefully it works as good as it looks. Lots of iffy reviews. Some people saying the steel ring wears loose from the rivets and wobbles on the aluminum center. We'll see how it goes. I spoke to a local guy whose been running one on his 1000cc for a few months with no issues so it should be fine on my little 600.

EBay, my bank, and pay pal all officially hate me, BUT I have lots of cool stuff coming within the next week or so :mrgreen:

1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:32 pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:11 am 

hahaha. My Lemans is doing the same thing to my wallet. Everytime I think I'm done buying stuff, I realize I need to spend $200 more. It's unfair, but it will be worth it when I fire it up without an exhaust system.

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:30 pm 

You just have to think about the end product, and forget the money. Honestly after the accord I stopped keeping track of how much I spend on parts hahahaha

You mentioned wanting a 3/8's impact in your last video. I bought a dewalt 12v 3/8's impact from home depot a few years ago for around $100 and I love it. It's really compact so it fits well in tight spaces and the batteries last longer than you'd think. Surprising amount of power for only 12v, it won't remove lug nuts, but for everything else it's awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:04 pm 

I got a Milwaukee M18 1/2" drive brushless a few years back. Worth every penny. 700lb/ft torque.
Will snap 5/8 bolts off. :D

01 Tibb
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 am

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:10 pm 

I actually bought the half inch milwaukee M18 fuel for myself for christmas this year. It's a bit much for simple engine assembly though. I really should get the 3/8 too! Errrrr maybe I just like new gadgets...

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:10 am 

I really need to go ahead and get a 1/2 inch electric impact too. I have a friend with a craftsman that works pretty well.

New chain arrived a few days ago and that means the rear end is complete minus a few bolts that I'll get when it actually goes on the bike. That means it's front end time!

This is 2007 cbr1000rr forks with the worst fork seals I've ever seen in my life, a 2000 cbr929 lower triple and vortex 929 upper triple tree. Major score on the vortex upper. I'm not sure they're made anymore and I got it really cheap. With some wrinkle or textured powdercoat it should look almost new.

Woodcraft clipons with 2.5in risers. The bars look like they'll sit pretty close to stock height. These forks are a good bit shorter than the original f4i forks. So I used clipons with risers so I could mount the bars under the top triple instead of on top. Hopefully that will help a good bit with the height of the front. I can go up to a 3 inch riser with these same bars if I run into clearance issues with the fairings or air intakes once it goes on the bike.

I got a clutch lever and perch today as well so I threw the left side together for fun, still need a new turn signal switch but otherwise that's it for this bar.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 am 

Daaaang that is some nice stuff. I always wanted inverted forks on my bike, but never pulled the trigger on doing it. They look so much cooler than what I had. When this whole upgrade is done, what are you expecting the difference will be? Are the new ones more adjustable? lighter? Just more awesome looking?

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:42 pm 

Really the main thing is the whole bike will be a lot more modern. I think the biggest difference is going to be with the brakes, going from axial calipers and master cylinder to radial, with bigger rotors, should make quite a difference in braking power and feel.

As far as the rest goes, I'm not sure how it's going to affect the bike. With the longer swingarm slowing down turn in speed, the front possibly sitting lower at about the same rake should speed up turn in, I'm betting it'll even out and feel about the same as it does now. Of course that's just a guess based on the specs that I've found.

This whole thing really is a big expirement. Kinda scary to think I could be doing all this work and it could potentially ruin the handling of the bike. But i think it will end up for the better. More modern with stronger components (inverted forks are MUCH stronger than conventional) and potentially lighter in weight as well.