All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: The goes-way-too-f#$king-fast-mobile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:08 am 

A Moto Z Force phone. Not quite pro, but not potato. :)

My big problem is editing this, I'm going to have to break out my gaming rig tonight I think.

01 Tibb
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 am

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:52 pm 

Enjoy!

For higher resolution, it's recommended to use the youtube app or website.

I'll take some still photos once everything is finished, for those that don't have the time/don't feel like sitting through 30 minutes of video. :wink:

01 Tibb
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:07 am 

Awesome! I think rainex would probably work on those windows, I use it on my helmet visors.

1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:32 pm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:30 am 

This is the end flange that will eventually be welded to the jackshaft protection tube/brace, and be bolted into the adapter plate.
I need to skim cut it a little bit on the lathe, it has more of a press fit than a slip fit, and I don't want it to bind in there permanently when it's welded to the tube.

One other thing I have to deal with is putting thread inserts in the adapter plate, since I had originally drilled and reamed the three holes for dowel pins, and did not punch the screw holes. Then I removed the dowels from the design, and confused their holes with untapped M6.

The helicoils should have arrived Thursday, but UPS had a delay. I needed to get 2D ones so I could go the full thickness of the plate, or I would have just installed the ones in my kit and been done with it.

I'll be editing the second part of the video where this was finished, and uploading it sometime later Friday.

01 Tibb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:31 am 

LethalEthan wrote:
Awesome! I think rainex would probably work on those windows, I use it on my helmet visors.

Does it hold up to oily stuff? I've never used it on anything, except that "rainex washer fluid" when someone got me a jug a while ago. Didn't notice a real difference with that.

01 Tibb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:49 am 

It should. It definitely makes the bugs and stuff clean off easier, water runs off no problem. Get the liquid kind you spread on then buff off, it works the best but it does fade after a while and you'll need to reapply it.

1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:32 pm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:55 pm 

Part two.

01 Tibb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:41 am 

Well, the helicoils didn't work this time. The holes were too large for the tap to get a good bite, and the coils wouldn't seat fully.
When I broke the drive tangs off on two of them, the coils stretched out... :shock:

I broke down and ordered an M6 Time-Sert Big-Sert kit, at a "It's a lifetime investment." cost, and we'll see how things go from there.

On the plus side, the flange is finished, and I have my final measurements for the tube length.

That's after some careful hacksaw work to get it sorta the right length, I'll still need to turn the ends to get to final dimensions.

As of now, it looks like everything should fit together nicely.

01 Tibb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 am 

This is really coming together Walt. Is this CNC your machine? Or is this taking place at work? Or is your "work" your home machine?! lol

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:17 pm 

It's owned by ABC Prototyping, LLC which I incorporated last November.

I still have the day job, the LLC is on the side.

01 Tibb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:35 pm 

Got myself a shifter base from an 05 Maxima 6 speed at the junkyard today.

Now I can clone my own when the time comes.

01 Tibb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:34 am 

I had the section of tube faced and machined to length on Wednesday. One of my buddies is going to do the welding, and I'll be ready to do final fitup.

The timeserts went in the adapter plate on Saturday, with no fanfare or funny business.

Now that I have the insert tool set, they're actually quite economical.

I ordered a set of 06 Sentra SE-R Spec V shifter cables from the local Nissan dealer on Wednesday, which should be in on Monday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:31 am 

Looking great Walt. How much can those nutserts hold? Any idea if they could pull out of the plate?

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:20 pm 

From their website:

Quote:
TIME-SERT makes no claims on torque specs or pullout, nor do we provide them. The reason being there are many factors that can determine the end result of the insert thread strength. ... TIME-SERT will state that if the thread repair is done correctly and with the proper length of insert used for the application e.g. the insert is the same length of the original thread engagement, the result should be a hole that should match the original torque specification of the hole. ...

Doing some light reading, it seems the M6 fastener would break before the aluminum threads would have pulled out, so the insert should hold.

I have 12mm of threaded hole, which on M6x1 means about 12 threads engaged. The insert seems to use a similar pitch (never measured), so it looks like it will be as good as the original.

01 Tibb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:46 pm 

Just snagged a RHD RX-8 steering rack (F151-32960) from Ebay for £40.00 with £38.00 shipping.

The exchange rate meant it turned into $52.81 for the rack and $50.17 for shipping, with a grand total of $102.98 for the whole shebang.

Oddly enough, that ended up being about half the cost of a LHD one in the US, even witht he added overseas shipping.

Now I just need a power steering control module, and I'm all set. Luckily, the module is the same part number LHD/RHD, and the only change was the rack.

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next