All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: The goes-way-too-f#$king-fast-mobile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:43 am 

So what is your intention with the ABS pump from the Prius?

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:16 am 

I's going to be a replacement for the 31 year old pump and accumulator on the 87 Buick Grand National powermaster brake master cylinder.

I don't have hydraulic power steering, so I can't easily use Hydroboost, a vacuum booster would be bulky and a pain to fit, and I still desire power brakes.

Simple solution is the electric pump powermaster system that was on the 86-88 turbo Buicks.
The pumps tend to be in rather poor shape after that long a service life though, so I was looking for a replacement that wasn't $400+ and came across the Prius setup.

The later Prius units have the pump+accumulator divorced from the ABS valve block, connected by a pressure line and a feed line.

01 Tibb
04 RX-8
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 am

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:23 pm 

The master cylinder came in the mail today.

Now to clean it up, tear it down, and clean the guts out.

I ordered an o-ring kit, but the cup seals are apparently unobtainium.

01 Tibb
04 RX-8
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 am 

In a strange turn of events, I actually know the guy that runs http://www.unobtaniumsupply.com/ lol He basically makes Ferrari parts that are no longer available, which is a bit different than what you are after.

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:07 pm 

I think I'll start referring to this as the G25E. Sounds like an exotic car model.

I tried to separate the outer CV joint from the Maxima driveshaft, and things did not go as planned.
The Milwaukee impact performed flawlessly, cranking up to it's rated 700 ft-lb torque.
The removal tool bent, and the damn axle has a permanent wire circlip, just like the Pathfinder one did. One time install, no user serviceable parts.

I called up Interparts on Friday, and the lovely woman in Automotive listened as I prattled on, and told me that while I can't order from them directly, there is a place fhat will be able to do exactly what I need, and was highly recommended.

I was referred to Constant Velocity of Ocala, and I will be giving them a call Monday to see what it would entail to order an outer joint for this thing. And possibly a set of custom short intermediate shafts to reduce the track width I have on paper.

No photos of the axle stuff, because CV grease is horrible.