All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello there, new here. My name is Creighton.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:17 am 

Hello everybody. It is late here but I was looking over this forum for a little bit as a guest and liked a lot of what I've seen. So, I decided to become a member.

Let's see here... A little about me. My name is Creighton, nickname "Crouton". I am 36, married w/2 kids. I have always been into cars. I have owned over 20 since I got my license at 16. Currently I own a 2000 Cadillac Deville. I may get some flack or teasing for that, as I am learning these cars are a complete nightmare to own. Anyways, the car has 202,000+ miles and the Northstar 32V engine is still going strong. I like all kinds of cars. I wouldn't say that I am too mechanically inclined but I am always up to learning something new. My mechanical history with cars has consisted of putting an engine, transmission and radiator into an 83' Trans Am I owned 16 years ago - tho I didn't do it without help from a family member that knew a heck of a lot more than I did about working on cars. I was going to list all the cars I have owned, but I figured I would just list the ones I have had in the past 10 or so years.

2000 Cadillac Deville (current - purchased May 19th, 2014)
2011 Dodge Avenger Mainstreet 2.4L (2011-2013)
2009 Ford Fusion SE V6 (2012-2013) (my wife's car)
2010 Dodge Caliber SXT (2010-2011)
1998 Plymouth Neon Expresso sedan (2009-2010)
1988 Lincoln Town Car (2008-2009)
2001 Mercury Cougar V6 5-spd (2006-2007)
2005 Dodge Neon SXT (2005-2007) (ex-wife's car)
1987 Ford LTD sedan (2005)
1990 Chevy Cavalier Z24 3.1L 5-spd (2005-2006)
1986 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 w/454 (not original engine) (2002-2003)
2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS (2003-2005) (ex-wife's car)
1998 Nissan Altima GLE (2004-2005)
1998 Dodge Neon R/T sedan (2001-2005)
2001 Pontiac Sunfire SE sedan (2001-2003)

Here's my YouTube channel if anybody wants to check it out...
[youtube]www.youtube.com/CROUTONCHANNEL[/youtube]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by CROUTON on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:42 am

Post subject: Re: Hello there, new here. My name is Creighton.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:12 pm 

Welcome aboard! North stars aren't horrible engines. Just horrible to work on in their stock configuration. I work on way to many and just hate all of the oil leaks!

1971 Dodge Demon
02 Montero full size
1995 s14.5 rhd 240sx 1jz gt35 w58
1 rhd s13 4 regular s13
02 330ci
64 barracuda

Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:39 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:18 am 

Well thankfully this Northstar powered Deville is still running and is working well in its purpose, which is daily transportation for me and my family. I wanted to say Ryan, your Skyline GTS-T sedan is bad ass man. I need to get a project going of my own. It won't be the Deville, but something else. I can't see putting any more money into this car unless it is just something to keep it going. I have new spark plugs in a sack in the trunk but I haven't gotten the nerve up to tackle putting them in quite yet. Maybe someday...

I wanted to post some pics of my past vehicles. Where would be an appropriate place to post them? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:39 am 

Here is one of my favorite cars that I have owned. I really miss this car a lot. It was just a driver on nice days and also shown in some car shows over the years.

What I had done to the car listed below...

1998 Dodge Neon R/T sedan
2.0L DOHC 4-cyl/5-speed trans

SUSPENSION:
**Prothane front and rear suspension bushing kit
**Prothane front and rear sway bar bushings
**H&R race springs (stiff as all get out but they were awesome!)
**KYB GR-2 gas struts
**Vibrant front & rear strut tower braces

ENGINE/TRANS:
**MSD coil pack
**MSD 8.5 mm spark plug wires
**Autolite spark plugs
**customized open air filter box w/K&N filter
**Prothane solid motor mount inserts
**Pacesetter street header
**MLS head gasket
**Booger Bushings shifter and trans linkage solid bushings

EXHAUST:
**Pilot Motorsports stainless-steel muffler

WHEELS/TIRES:
**16" Team Loco 142 w/anthracite finish / 205/40 Kumho 712 (1st set)
**16" Sport Edition Tekno w/silver finish / 205/40 Dunlop FM901 (2nd set)
**18" Drag DR-4 w/gunmetal finish / 215/35 Sumitomo HTR+ A/S (3rd set - pictured)

INTERIOR:
**Grant GT steering wheel w/red leather
**GM steering wheel hub adapter

EXTERIOR:
**Modern Performance RX300-style black chrome taillights
**Modern Performance crystal-clear turn signals & sidemarkers

STEREO:
**Kenwood KDC-719 CD flip-down face silver head unit
**Crossfire 6.25" 2-way front door speakers
**Pioneer 6x9" 3-way rear deck speakers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by CROUTON on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:10 am 

Welcome to the HRCS ! I have also spent a lot of time on north star engines, because I used to be a technician at a Cadillac dealer. :)

Nice list of vehicles! Got any pics of the blazer?

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:03 am 

I always wanted a rt sedan when i had my coupe. I love neons and still regret getting rid of my last rt viewtopic.php?f=12&t=442

1971 Dodge Demon
02 Montero full size
1995 s14.5 rhd 240sx 1jz gt35 w58
1 rhd s13 4 regular s13
02 330ci
64 barracuda

Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:39 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:52 pm 

Welcome crouton!

89 mighty max -4g swap in progress
04 F150 daily driver / gas hog :-/

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:47 pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:00 am 

I don't have any pictures of the Blazer. When I was married to my ex-wife, my mother-in-law at the time gave us the black 1986 K5 Blazer with a blown transmission. It had recently had a refurbished transfer case put on it and she wasn't in a position to afford putting a transmission in it, so my ex-wife and I inherited the Blazer. A mechanic friend of mine had an 80s body style Chevy shortbox at the time and just so happened to have a TH350 transmission with a shift kit in it. We got a good deal on it, since he had just finished doing the MLS head gasket work on my 1998 Neon R/T and we were bringing him more business.

Not long after we got the transmission in and after some tearing around off-roading (the truck was 4wd), the engine let go. Originally the truck was powered by a 305 if my memory serves me correctly. My ex-wife had located a 454 thru a friend of her family and got the engine for like a couple hundred bucks. We had all new gaskets and spark plugs put in it. The 454 had great power but was extremely heavy and made the Blazer nose-dive bad whenever you'd stop suddenly. If you know what those trucks came with for tires stock, they aren't that big and the ground clearance on them Blazers isn't that good stock either. I used to get that truck stuck a lot. Probably mostly because of the heavy engine and the lack of any kind of ground clearance to speak of (the truck had aluminum running boards on it too... ugh I hated them things; got caught on everything). The Blazer was fun tho while we had it. We couldn't get the gas gauge to work after we had the 454 put in it for whatever reason and let me tell ya, we always had to put gas in that thing. For awhile I was driving it over 50 miles round trip to an out-of-town nursing home job that I had at the time. The transmission we got from my friend had been rebuilt but the weirdest thing would happen if you put the truck in neutral rolling down the road and pressed on the accelerator. Above 2000 rpm the truck would accelerate in neutral for some reason. I never had any other vehicle do that. Other than that, it worked when the thing was in gear and shifted firmly.

Anyways, my daily driver before we got the Blazer up and running for the second time was a 2000 Sunfire sedan. I was driving to work one night and as I came around a curve on this dark rural black top road, a deer decided to jump out. I swerved to miss the deer and went off an embankment and into a light pole in front of a farm house. After totaling the Sunfire, I started driving the Blazer as my daily driver. The 1998 Neon R/T sedan was my nice day only car, so I drove the Blazer as it was winter. My ex-wife wanted to get a car to replace the Sunfire, so we tried selling the Blazer to no avail. Nobody wanted it with the big block engine in it. We ended up trading it in at a dealership when we bought a 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS.

I don't have pics of the Blazer but I do have pics of the Sunfire that I had and totaled. I will dig it up and post it just for sh*ts and giggles. I apologize for the quality of some of the pics. They were taken over 10 years ago with a regular camera. I took of pics of the photos with my LG phone.

Last edited by CROUTON on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:17 am 

Thanks for the welcome guys (Jeremy, Jonathan and Ryan). All you guys seem very knowledgeable mechanically. I hope to further my knowledge here on this forum. I already have in some degree. I enjoy looking thru everybody's past and present build threads. Puts a smile on my face with some of the projects people got going on and the ingenuity of it all. I wanted to post a pic of the 2011 Avenger that I used to have. I bought it new in Oct 2011 and due to financial difficulties I had to get rid of it back in Dec 2013. My wife and I are working on getting back on our feet and getting something nicer but not in a real big rush quite yet. As long as we can keep the Deville running (so far, so good) we will just keep driving it for now.

My Avenger had an American flag vinyl wrap on the roof. The link to a video showing it is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WDdA5bHmxU

Exhaust video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo5rbkXTZw0