All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cluster mods
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:29 am 

the guage cluster in my truck doesnt have a tach, so i was wondering if any one as added any guages to the factory cluster, and if so what did you do about the ribbon circuit on the back. all i really want to work is the high beam/turn indicators. i want to add an oil pressure, water temp and boost guage into the cluster.. and keep the factory speedo. i will be putting my tach somewhere else in the dash..

ive looked at the printed circuit a little bit but im unsure of what to do with it, i know i will be cutting a lot of the cluster out and every thing ive read says to solider jumper wires to span any gaps in the circuit. BUT i dont need or want every thing to work. just what i mentioned above. my ecu is not hooked to the cluster in any way..

i hope that makes sence lol..... Thanks guys

09 tahoe
93 d350 cummins dump truck ( new old beater)
89 mighty max turbo ls swap ( under the knife)

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:19 pm

Post subject: Re: cluster mods
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 am 

Leave the printed circuit as is and unplug /cut the sections you don't want. Then throw new gauges wherever you want and run real wires to those. I did something like this once, but I can't remember for the life of me what type of vehicle it was.

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:42 am 

thanks jeremy, are those printed circuits things to be feared or what? ive never jacked with them before. and i dont really wanna screw it up and make it un useable, i guess as long as i can tell how fast im going i should be good right? lol

09 tahoe
93 d350 cummins dump truck ( new old beater)
89 mighty max turbo ls swap ( under the knife)

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:19 pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:29 am 

Haha - the speedometer is mechanical - so you are all set there!

The printed circuits aren't as scary as they look. They work just like wires, but they are flat. You can cut out circuits you don't need, and solder in the ones that you do (if you are good at soldering). Used clusters are cheap, so even if you screw up bigtime, you should be able to find a new one for like $25.

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am