General Auto Body Questions:

This is the place where we have general body and suspension related banter
4g63mightymax
Site Admin

General Auto Body Questions:

Post by 4g63mightymax » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Okay, I can do metal work, and mechanic work, but primers and paints scare me. Here are my questions:

- Can you put body filler over primer, or should it always be applied to bare metal only?

- When you have bare metal, should the only primer to go on it be epoxy primer?

- If you have epoxy primer on your car that is a year+ old, what is the next step?

That's all I have for now.
-Jeremy
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza

TheKwinkyist

Re: General Auto Body Questions:

Post by TheKwinkyist » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:33 am

- Can you put body filler over primer, or should it always be applied to bare metal only?
You can but its not the smartest idea to do. It should be metal/filler/primer/paint because when you get to the painting stage you want it to come out looking smooth.
Quinn

97 Muddy Cherokee
89 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
62' International Harvester Back in its grave
51' Jeep Willys
Shiny new 73' Honda CB500

Mikes87max

Post by Mikes87max » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:51 pm

There's this stuff call body iceing it can be applied over paint and primers just do a light prep of mainly used for slight imperfections
Mike

99 Ford ZX2 (Daily beater)
87 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (Its so low I can smell worms burn. Now its going to have more body mods than Pamela Anderson)

spcll fx

Post by spcll fx » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:42 pm

4g63mightymax wrote:Okay, I can do metal work, and mechanic work, but primers and paints scare me. Here are my questions:

- When you have bare metal, should the only primer to go on it be epoxy primer?

- If you have epoxy primer on your car that is a year+ old, what is the next step?

That's all I have for now.
-Jeremy
Quinn is right, it should be on bare metal but, you can put it on epoxy primer just sand with eighty grit first to give it something to bite to.

This is a little more complicated . What kind of metal? Did it have rust issues or new metal ? Resto or quick fix/flip? Give me more details and i'll try to get back to you on that.

Has it been outdoors or locked up in the garage? If it was applied correctly on clean rust treated metal and there has been no scratches you can sand with #320 , apply a fresh coat of primer then paint , if not sand down ,prime & paint .

Bondo is designed to fill and stick to metal .
Regular primer is used to fill sand scratches ,block sand the area that has been worked smooth , and for paint adhesion .

Epoxy primers seal the metal to give added protection from rust and corrosion.
Ray R.
1964 Westcoaster
1966 Harley M-50
1975 Harley XLH Sportster
1977 Harley FXS Lowrider
1989 D-50 (Stock so far)
1995 GMC Sierra(xtracab)