How difficult is it to lift the MM cab off the frame?

This is the place where we have general body and suspension related banter
noahwins

How difficult is it to lift the MM cab off the frame?

Post by noahwins » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:29 am

Is there a procedure written up somewhere? Didn't see anything in my Haynes manual. Asking because doing an engine swap/wire tuck/exhaust/intercooler plumbing/suspension upgrades, etc. and cleaning road grime and corrosion would be so much easier working on a bare frame.

Also, how would you lift it? Engine hoist or a block and tackle off a garage rafter?
Noah

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250

"I have discovered in the 10 years I been messing with this truck, that I chose the one engine from Mitsubishi with absolutely no aftermarket support." -LSR Mike

noahwins

Re: How difficult is it to lift the MM cab off the frame?

Post by noahwins » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:07 pm

I was thinking about doing something like this, totally smooth firewall, then shave and tuck EVERYTHING, so it looks like the engine is floating in space:
mighty max firewall.jpg
I'd want the engine bay to look like this, with the front suspension powdercoated and exposed and CLEAN...
mighty max exposed suspension.jpg
...with the goal of having the engine bay look as clean and smoothed out as this:
shave tuck.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Noah

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250

"I have discovered in the 10 years I been messing with this truck, that I chose the one engine from Mitsubishi with absolutely no aftermarket support." -LSR Mike

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Re: How difficult is it to lift the MM cab off the frame?

Post by 4g63mightymax » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:25 pm

I like all of this. Also - that top truck is a mightymax right? Whos is that? got a link to more pics?

As for lifting the body - I have never done it to a truck, but done it to many old cars. I usually pull the bolts out, and jack it up a little at a time on each side with a floor jack. Then I slide a few pressure treated 4x4's under it, and slowly but surely lift it high enough with jacks until I can put the 4x4's on saw horses, and roll the frame out from under it.
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza