Corona virus craze

Post anything off topic here.
LethalEthan

Corona virus craze

Post by LethalEthan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:21 pm

What do you guys think about all this? What effects are you feeling? Do you think people are taking it too far?

As most of y'all know I work in the hotel industry and we're feeling it hard already. All of our housekeeping and kitchen staff has been laid off from all properties and the rest of us are getting our hours seriously cut. I've gone from 50hr weeks down to about 35 myself. They cut anymore and we might as well all go on unemployment.
Ethan
2012 Honda cbr1000rr
2005 Honda cbr f4i
2016 x-pro mini moto
1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

300D50
HRCS OG

Re: Corona virus craze

Post by 300D50 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:22 am

Accidentally double posted...
Last edited by 300D50 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

300D50
HRCS OG

Post by 300D50 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:28 am

NYC vs upstate population density.
And a state government that is doing "It's the WHOLE STATE or NOT AT ALL." level of response.

Our governor is also in a protracted micturating match with the president.

Spring is canceled.
Summer looks to be cancelled.

The response in NY is not being handled properly. Population density needs to be taken into account.

I may or may not be working from home (at severely reduced capacity, can't bring the machinery home) on Monday, depending on the interpretation of a poorly worded executive order.

On the plus side, "home" could be camp, as long as I have internet access.

Thankfully I got my usual "Heh, running low, get two mega packs." of TP a few weeks back, so I don't have to resort to the phonebook or newspaper.

LethalEthan

Post by LethalEthan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:53 pm

Everything is pretty much cancelled here. Restaurants are open but the inside seating is closed, drive through only. People are waiting outside the doors for grocery stores to open in the morning, think black Friday but for groceries, and shopping with gloves and masks on.

Our hours were cut again yesterday and another good chunk of our employees were laid off for a month or so, I might be next, not that I'll complain too much.

They cancelled our st. patricks day parade and festival, not that it mattered too much, the party still went on like normal, 3 days of hell for us, but it's all pretty much a ghost town now. We have a total of about 400 rooms between the 3 properties I work at, and only around 50 are currently occupied.
Ethan
2012 Honda cbr1000rr
2005 Honda cbr f4i
2016 x-pro mini moto

300D50
HRCS OG

Post by 300D50 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:12 am

Ouch...

We just got confirmation at work that we're "essential", so the lights can stay on.

mattp_65

Post by mattp_65 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:49 pm

Stay Safe Everyone! Here in Washington is pretty much shut down same as you guys.
My work at Boeing is suppose to shut down soon for the next few weeks.
"CHEVISH" 4g63 Luv (262HP)
95 Eagle Talon (506HP 413 TQ)
95 Eagle Summit (DD)
2012 GMC Sierra 6.2L

LethalEthan

Post by LethalEthan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:33 pm

My friends at international paper here were also declared essential employees so they're continuing operation as normal as possible despite issues getting containers through the port.

I'm not surprised Boeing is having trouble, I've heard they were in trouble already before all this even started. I'm a bit surprised that gulfstream employees here haven't been laid off, as far as i know, its business as usual over there.

We shut down one of our properties today so that leaves the two bigger ones open but we're running a skeleton crew for sure.
Ethan
2012 Honda cbr1000rr
2005 Honda cbr f4i
2016 x-pro mini moto

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:56 pm

Massachusetts is much like your states. We are all supposed to stay home unless we are an essential employee, which just about everybody can qualify as if you stretch the meaning enough. Auto part stores are essential, and so is ecommerce, so my employer is staying open. Luckily I can work from home though, and almost everybody I work with can too. We still have our fulfillment centers open (mostly), but they are a skeleton crew and following strict guidelines. Auto part sales are WAY down (obviously). Schools are all closed for the foreseeable future. I have heart and lung issues normally, so I REALLY need to not get sick. I don't want to be the guy not breathing, waiting in line for a ventilator. Screw that. Going to the grocery store terrifies me, and I'm going as infrequently as possible. The whole situation sucks and I can't wait for it to be over.

On the positive side of things:
- I do get more time with my family, which is actually nicer than expected.
- Two BIG companies want to sponsor my podcast, which is pretty frickin cool. I told them we would talk post-corona. So hopefully they are still interested then.

I'm glad you guys are doing well. Stay safe.
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza

BlackVR4
Newbville

Post by BlackVR4 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:14 am

For myself all classes at SUNY Polytechnic Institute have switched to online learning. The college is closed down and no one is allowed on campus. Some students that live in the dorms are told to leave their stuff in there but are not allowed in and are sent home. The main problem I have is that it is difficult to do an engineering class and consult with a teacher for help if you can only respond by email or by video chat. At least most of my teachers aren't INCREASING the workload on my classes, which is part of the reason why I don't do an online class.

The students who use software on the computers (such as Master CAM, Solid Works, and Lab View) are in a tough spot since you typically can't get that software outside of college and a workplace without spending a few thousand dollars. And not many students have a machine shop around so all Capstone projects and machine shop classes are pretty much cancelled or switched to theory only.

Hamilton college is closed down for the rest of the semester and all students were sent home. However, there are around 60-100 students that can't leave to go home because they originally live in Europe and that's on lock down.
James
1990 Ram 50 4x4 5 Speed /W 2001 6G72 24V V6
91 3000GT VR4

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:10 am

Yeah this is getting weirder each day. I saw that my neighbors daughter (college age) moved back home yesterday, so I assume she is in the same situation, though I haven't spoken with them yet. My brother in law is a machinest and considered "essential" so he and his coworkers are still going to work each day. That's good for paychecks, but bad for his potential chances of getting this virus. Hopefully he can weather the storm and stay healthy.

For me - still working from home, and doing first grade lessons with my son, and trying to keep groceries in the house without them being coughed on by somebody in the store. Someone in my small town official has the virus according to the town website, so this is now much closer to home. This world is scary right now.
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza