BYOBP: Build Your Own Bilge Pump.

Post anything off topic here.
300D50
HRCS OG

BYOBP: Build Your Own Bilge Pump.

Post by 300D50 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:31 am

This is what happens when a bilge pump kit for a SeaDoo costs over $120 and is only for 2018+, the online aftermarket universal ones are bulky things that tend to need a 3/4" hole to flow anything(as well as take forever to ship) and the junkyard happens to be open...

I was out and about over the lunch break Wednesday, and had a few moments to swing over and do a quick lot walk looking for headlight washer pumps.

I was looking for the BMW style because I know from experience they put out a decent flow through a small outlet orifice, they're compact, and they tend to never die. I would have also settled for Mazda, and I do have a spare in the basement, but I don't have the connector pigtail.

I lucked out and someone had already peeled back the pass fender on an E90 BMW 328i, so it was a few minutes to grab the headlight washer pump, windshield washer pump, both filter grommets, float switch from the reservoir, wiring, and the super awesome quick connect pressure hose up to the front bumper.
All that along with an aux power blanking cap (dummy cig lighter) and a USB/AUX center console input was under $20 out the door.

I'm a little annoyed I couldn't get the mating hose connector from the bumper, but the whole front end was literally missing, core support forward. :mrgreen:

Printing a strainer/mounting adapter in PETG:

The brim gets plucked off later, it's there for extra bed adhesion/peace of mind, since it's a 2.5 hour print.

I haven't ran the printer since December last year, when I swapped control boards with a friend to get him the latest and greatest firmware flash on his machine.

Good excuse to use mine instead of pile things on it

The bulk of my actual printing experience came from printing ABS on his Makerbot Thing-O-Matic many moons ago, and I think I only ever printed a dice rolling tower and some misc quick upgrades in PLA.

I decided to go PETG because PLA or ABS would degrade in bilge conditions with oil/microbe/fuel vapor/water. Already had the filament from a BOGO sale event, so overall this is cheap.

It's a bit gooey/stringy, but it prints rather well.

Version 1.0 fresh off the printer.

The filter grommet slips in and the pump snaps on like the OEM washer jug for this version.

I could have used it as-is, but I was so anxious to get it printed I forgot mounting provisions. I also figured I could capture the pump a bit tighter, and go for a "bolt action" setup since I found it will drop in and twist easier than snapping in.

Those changes were made on V2, with mounting screw holes on the underside of the strainer. I also decoded to also add a middle ring halfway up the strainer slats to add some more rigidity, and a bit more wraparound on the pump body.

It's printing overnight, and hopefully didn't turn into spaghetti.

As far as control, it's going to be switched by hand for the moment. I'll be scrounging up a some random stuff I have laying around to make a little init to sense the float switch and cycle the pump as required, including a purge timer that kicks off after a few minutes if the float sticks, and a startup delay to avoid it triggering from normal riding.

The bathtub test with the jump pack had water nearly hit the ceiling, emptying a 2 gallon pail in under a minute through a 6mm(?) hose fitting.
Didn't think to stopwatch it.

The fitting to the outside world will take some thought, since I really, real, really don't want to punch a hole in the hull unless I have to.
Quite possibly I'll rig something up so it piddles out the back under the grab handle, right above the factory engine piddlers.

Modeling was done in Inventor, slicing was done in Cura from an exported .STL file.

Pics of the pump, filter grommet, and hose if I remember to take them.

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Re: BYOBP: Build Your Own Bilge Pump.

Post by 4g63mightymax » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:42 pm

Welp. That is frickin awesome. Are those pumped okay being fully submerged in water? The whole thing is very cool. I could see this simple pump setup being useful for all sorts of liquid moving.
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza

300D50
HRCS OG

Re: BYOBP: Build Your Own Bilge Pump.

Post by 300D50 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:37 pm

It looks to be fully sealed with no way for liquid to get in, either epoxy or heat/sonic welded.

On the dock, after a test run.

It gets slightly uncomfortably warm when ran for a minute, so I'll probably get some clip on heatsinks for it.

The 3D printer had a temper tantrum and I didn't end up getting the float housing finished, but that's not an issue anymore.

I found my major water leak on Saturday, a missing and stripped out bolt from the manifold to the stinger pipe.

It really let loose, lost fire in the rear jug at anything below half throttle. Limped it back to the dock and tore into it.
When we pulled the RAVE valves and looked down into the ports the cylinders and piston skirts looked nearly new, no scratching, so we got lucky.

I put Time-Serts in all 4 manifold to pipe holes, since one more was trying to strip as I was undoing the pipe.

I'm still waiting on some misc gaskets and bits to show up Friday, and then it all goes back together again with a carb rebuild since we'll be in there that far anyways.
Walt
2006 RX-8 Shinka | 2006 BMW 325xi
1991 3000GT VR4 | 1994 3000GT SL
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.