All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: The new honda
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:46 pm 

Hopefully it works as good as it looks. Lots of iffy reviews. Some people saying the steel ring wears loose from the rivets and wobbles on the aluminum center. We'll see how it goes. I spoke to a local guy whose been running one on his 1000cc for a few months with no issues so it should be fine on my little 600.

EBay, my bank, and pay pal all officially hate me, BUT I have lots of cool stuff coming within the next week or so :mrgreen:

2016 x-pro mini moto
1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:32 pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:11 am 

hahaha. My Lemans is doing the same thing to my wallet. Everytime I think I'm done buying stuff, I realize I need to spend $200 more. It's unfair, but it will be worth it when I fire it up without an exhaust system.

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:30 pm 

You just have to think about the end product, and forget the money. Honestly after the accord I stopped keeping track of how much I spend on parts hahahaha

You mentioned wanting a 3/8's impact in your last video. I bought a dewalt 12v 3/8's impact from home depot a few years ago for around $100 and I love it. It's really compact so it fits well in tight spaces and the batteries last longer than you'd think. Surprising amount of power for only 12v, it won't remove lug nuts, but for everything else it's awesome.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:04 pm 

I got a Milwaukee M18 1/2" drive brushless a few years back. Worth every penny. 700lb/ft torque.
Will snap 5/8 bolts off. :D

01 Tibb
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 am

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:10 pm 

I actually bought the half inch milwaukee M18 fuel for myself for christmas this year. It's a bit much for simple engine assembly though. I really should get the 3/8 too! Errrrr maybe I just like new gadgets...

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:10 am 

I really need to go ahead and get a 1/2 inch electric impact too. I have a friend with a craftsman that works pretty well.

New chain arrived a few days ago and that means the rear end is complete minus a few bolts that I'll get when it actually goes on the bike. That means it's front end time!

This is 2007 cbr1000rr forks with the worst fork seals I've ever seen in my life, a 2000 cbr929 lower triple and vortex 929 upper triple tree. Major score on the vortex upper. I'm not sure they're made anymore and I got it really cheap. With some wrinkle or textured powdercoat it should look almost new.

Woodcraft clipons with 2.5in risers. The bars look like they'll sit pretty close to stock height. These forks are a good bit shorter than the original f4i forks. So I used clipons with risers so I could mount the bars under the top triple instead of on top. Hopefully that will help a good bit with the height of the front. I can go up to a 3 inch riser with these same bars if I run into clearance issues with the fairings or air intakes once it goes on the bike.

I got a clutch lever and perch today as well so I threw the left side together for fun, still need a new turn signal switch but otherwise that's it for this bar.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 am 

Daaaang that is some nice stuff. I always wanted inverted forks on my bike, but never pulled the trigger on doing it. They look so much cooler than what I had. When this whole upgrade is done, what are you expecting the difference will be? Are the new ones more adjustable? lighter? Just more awesome looking?

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:42 pm 

Really the main thing is the whole bike will be a lot more modern. I think the biggest difference is going to be with the brakes, going from axial calipers and master cylinder to radial, with bigger rotors, should make quite a difference in braking power and feel.

As far as the rest goes, I'm not sure how it's going to affect the bike. With the longer swingarm slowing down turn in speed, the front possibly sitting lower at about the same rake should speed up turn in, I'm betting it'll even out and feel about the same as it does now. Of course that's just a guess based on the specs that I've found.

This whole thing really is a big expirement. Kinda scary to think I could be doing all this work and it could potentially ruin the handling of the bike. But i think it will end up for the better. More modern with stronger components (inverted forks are MUCH stronger than conventional) and potentially lighter in weight as well.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:25 am 

Not much happening lately. I did get new oem turn signal and kill switches.

Also picked up another action camera. This one has sensors inside that do cool things. Can't wait to use this one on the track day.

From left to right, total distance, acceleration g's, mph, roll or lean angle. With the route and placement at the top. There's a lot you can do including changing the colors and look of the gauges, as well as what they actually display on screen. Built in image stabilization also which is really getting put to work here. It's almost gimbal like. It's a Garmin virb ultra 30. I don't think it will replace my gopro hero4 on daily duty but as a secondary camera instead of my hero 3+.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:06 am 

My first track day was a success! I had a rough start, due only to laziness. I didn't check my front brake pads until the day before we left and they were too worn to pass tech inspection, so I had to call around Friday morning before we left to try and find some. Luckily, one shop in town had a set. I had to overpay for them but I also had to have them. We picked them up on the way out of town and then made the 5 hour drive to munford Alabama and Talladega gran prix raceway. As soon as we got there and unloaded the bikes I did the brakes and tightened my chain.

We slept in the trailer on air mattresses. It was supposed to be 55 degrees that night, it was 39 and neither of us were prepared so Friday night kinda sucked hahaha. Saturday morning was also pretty cold. After the riders meeting everyone in novice had to take a class with the coaches for the group. The first two sessions were following the coaches at a pretty slow pace so everyone could see the lines, good for me since I needed to bed the new pads. Then lunch and 3 more sessions afterwards that were pretty much open sessions. 3 groups formed in novice and I rode in the middle group, but next time I think I will run in intermediate group. I got held up way too much running in novice. I feel like I was running a pretty good pace towards the end of the day. I didn't run my lap timer, but timed a lap from video and it came in around 1.15ish, the track record I believe is just under 1 minute.

Here is my best session from the day, complete from start to finish.

I had one incident where I went off track. My transmission got stuck in between 5th and 4th and I thought it was better off running straight off track than trying to make the turn with no throttle. Listen for the ratchet sound.

All in all I had a great time and it was definitely worth the cost. I'll be doing more in the future for sure.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:21 am 

Holy cow that looks fun.
- How much did it cost?
- What magic did you use to get the track on the video!? That ROCKS!
- You are GOOD on a bike!

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:31 pm 

The track day itself was pretty affordable, $120 to run just Saturday or $230 to run Saturday and Sunday. Gas is what got us. Combined we spent near $250 in gas just to get to the track. Sleeping in the trailer and a camp grill saved us on food and lodging cost. I only used 1 tank of gas in the bike. It's different depending on what track you go to though. Our local track (roebling road) is a little more costly for track days.

The map and gauges you see on the video are a product of my Garmin virb ultra 30. It has built in gps and a few sensors that track your location and speed as you ride. You don't see it while recording, but when you play back the video. As long as it can get a gps signal it will track you. I can't wait to see what the map looks like when we go to the mountains this year.

And thanks! I don't know that I'm that good of a rider, but I know my bike and what it can do pretty well. When I watch these videos, all I see are the mistakes I made and what I can improve on. Videos are going to be an excellent learning tool for me on track days.

Im definitely planning to do atleast one more track day this year, maybe roebling road since it's local. I may decide to skip my mountain trip this year to do more track days instead. We'll see how the bike build goes.

My friend is wanting to do ccs racing next year, depending on how my other track days go, I may join him.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:11 am 

That sounds similar to auto cross prices around here. I think it's usually ~$100 per day for us, but it's not a real track, it's an old air force base.

- Were there rules on how fast you were "allowed" to go?
- Do you have a license yet? LOL!
- What caused you to go into the grass? It seemed like you could have easily made the corner?

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:07 pm 

The rules in novice are
1. No passing in the corners, straights only.
2. Make sure you can complete your pass before turning in for the corner.
That's it. In intermediate there's a 5ft passing rule, and advanced the rules are "play nice". No rules on how fast you can go. If you crash and anything other than your feet or tires touch the ground, the bike has to go through tech again before going back out on track.

I do not have a license yet, and actually got a ticket for it last week along with a 70mph in a 45 speeding ticket. State patrol finally got me, hahahaha

I made the choice to go into the grass over making the turn because with my transmission stuck in between 4th and 5th gear, I wouldn't have been able to give it any throttle to exit the turn, and being on the racing line with guys flying up behind me, I thought that was the safer option. When the bike gets stuck like that it won't go back into gear until you totally stop and clutch in, then it will drop to neutral from 4th and you're good to go again. I've heard that bent shift forks will cause this issue and it's a really common problem on my bike, along with blowing out second gear. Apparently the shift fork can be changed without doing any major disassembly so ill be buying the parts and getting that done soon.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:20 pm 

Here's some on track pics from the weekend

2016 x-pro mini moto

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next