All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The new honda
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:45 pm 

That color is absolutely rad. I want a FD RX7 in my life in that exact color with black wheels. nice work!

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:49 am 

Thanks! I'm glad I went with the gray over white, but I do wish it was a little darker. It just looks a little blueish to me.

I now have front and rear brake lines, the front fender complete, and an HRC kit radiator overflow. Honda loves to put their radiator bottles in ridiculous, inaccessible locations so I've removed the stock one and put the new one up top on the fairing stay.

I bought a 929/954 steering stabilizer bracket hoping that the piece that mounts to the gas tank would be the same bolt spacing as the f4i. It is and bolts up perfectly, the piece that goes on the triple fits perfect as well being that it's a 929 front end. But, the distance between the triple and gas tank must be different on the 929/954. While everything bolts up like it should, it puts a serious angle to the stabilizer itself and maxes out the joints when turning, no good.

I did find a bracket set for this front end conversion specifically and have it on the way. It puts the stabilizer on the front side of the lower triple instead of up top on the gas tank which is inconvenient, but it should work. I've also decided I don't like the current clip-ons and have a new set arriving tomorrow. I'll have to buy riser posts to use them but they are much more adjustable than my current bars and should be much more comfortable.

2016 x-pro mini moto
1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:32 pm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:39 am 

I am still in shock that your gauge cluster melted from the sun. lol. Seriously though, it's nice to see you guys are making progress on your projects!

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:51 pm 

I've had the last four days off of work and I finally got some brake calipers in so I spent those days getting the calipers on, getting the front wheel and rotors lined up, and then, this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VRBSXltyH8

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:29 pm 

Well? How was it!?!!? Do you remember what it was like before?

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:09 pm 

Everything felt OK. The pads that came with my front calipers are pretty crappy but otherwise the brakes felt pretty good. I'm a little nervous on the front brakes because in order to get everything to line up center, I had to space the rotors off the wheel almost 5mm on each side. I also had to add a few millimeters of washer on one side of the axle to get the wheel centered. This is because of the width difference in the triple tree after 2008.

I also have a whining sound I need to figure out. You can hear it in the video when I start swinging the bike side to side, almost sounds like a supercharger whine.

As far as what it felt like before, I honestly can't remember. It's been 6 months now and since I've been riding the 1000, it's hard to say. It feels waaaaaay slow, I'm sure because I'm used to the power of the 1k now (which does 160mph btw).

One thing I can say for certain is that the bike is definitely stiffer as far as suspension goes. The bike was a little soft in the first place for what I want to do with it so that's not a bad thing. IF the weight of the bike hasn't changed too much, the stock 1k springs are the correct spring rate for my body weight. It steers very well, fast and easy, but that could be because of not having a steering stabilizer on it when I rode it (it does now).

I babied it for those 11 miles I rode it so under pressure I can't really say how it will feel yet. I'll be working on getting it street legal-ish so I can do some more testing soon. I may end up having to lower the front ride height a little bit, it feels like the weight distribution is a little off when cornering, that could explain the easy steering also.

I did a photo shoot the other night but I'm not happy with the pictures so I'll do another when I have time to make some space in my garage. It gets tight with 4 motorcycles, a bicycle, and a full size car crammed in there.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:21 am 

Excellent! I wonder if you could make a spacer for each rotor that is like a round disc that connects every hole. It may make you feel a little better than using washers. The wheel I would think could be just 1 thick washer on each side if you know the exact measurement. Walt probably knows this sort of stuff way better than I do, but I'd think spacers are fine as long as you use good bolts that are the right length.

Can't wait to see the pictures!

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:43 am 

Using good bolts (and loctite, maybe safety wire if you have a guy with the tools?), should be ok.

I'm still going to "nope" on ever getting a bike as long as I'm in NY. :lol: Your roads are like glass compared tot he pockmarked hellscape we have here. :shock:

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 am

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:07 pm 

A solid spacer ring would make me feel much more comfortable, but I think it will be ok. I have the oem bolts in them now which seem plenty long enough, but titanium bolts are coming in the future.

I actually have to safety wire quite a bit of bolts in order to pass tech for racing. Rotor bolts are not required but I may do them anyway.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:11 pm 

here's the bones

Steering stabilizer setup. My current stabilizer is a little long so at full lock steering the piston rod will hit the fork tube. Shouldn't be a problem on the track though.

Here you can see the spacers I put under each rotor.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:22 pm 

and the body

There's still a lot to do. I need a bunch of drilled hardware, I still want a set of Brembo calipers and I need to get some number plates and gas tank grips. I plan on some engine stuff as well but most of that won't come until near the end of the year. Next up is to get the new handlebars on and get to testing things out and setting the suspension along with a fork rebuild.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:12 pm 

Get me a thickness for those spacer stacks, and possibly an old rotor if it's thicker/just as thick.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 am

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:01 pm 

Damn, that is a truly fantastic looking bike. Well done. That orange and gray combo is absolutely beautiful. Also - your wiring is really tidy. Great work overall!

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:15 pm 

300D50 wrote:
Get me a thickness for those spacer stacks, and possibly an old rotor if it's thicker/just as thick.

I see where you're going with that and I like the idea. I'll take some measurements later in the week when I have time. I do have two old brake rotors as well.

Thanks Jeremy! I'm still kinda iffy on the fairings. I put all the stickers on because it looked too bare but the more I look at it I'm not sure I like the look. I'll probably end up changing it before too long. I may try to find someone to make me a factory style graphic in custom colors.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:25 am 

The forks are rebuilt, new handle bars are installed, new brake pads, gas tank grips, and number plates all done. The bike is now ready for Roebling Road at the end of May. I need to put some lights on it and get it registered now so I can do some suspension setup, it definitely still needs a lot of tweaking but at least its ready for some real testing. I think I've put near 30 miles on it now.

I had some suprising difficulties with the bars. It feels like they're only slightly further back than before but my brake lines were just barely long enough to reach. I had to route them behind the forks instead of in front to get a little more length. I also have to run the brake master a little further out for now until i switch to a single brake line setup. The dual line hits the handle bar bracket. It's much more comfortable to ride this way though and I gained a ton of clearance around the front fairing stay that I really needed.

2016 x-pro mini moto

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next