All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: The new honda
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:47 pm 

4g63mightymax wrote:
1. You're photography is always really great. If you ever consider doing more photography, I think you'd be killer at it.

Don't know how I missed this but thanks! I have been doing a bit more photography lately, but it's still always bike related hahahaha

Finally getting the hang of astrophotography. I have to say stars are the most difficult thing I've ever tried to photograph. Each photo is about a 30-second exposure so shooting just two photos takes a whole minute. I've spent hours trying to figure it out.

2016 x-pro mini moto
1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:32 pm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:35 pm 

Sweet starscape!

Spacers look bomb. Kinda funny how I mixed up June and July like that...

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 am

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:43 am 

Holy hell. Those photos are ridiculous. I don't know how that top one is even possible. Looks like photoshop to me. lol

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:23 am 

The camera will capture much more than what we can actually see, many of the stars in that picture were not visible to me while standing there. It's a balance between how much light you let into the camera and for how long. Tricky thing with stars is they move, (Or really, we move in relation to them) so anything over a 30 second exposure leaves trails and makes things look out of focus.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:19 pm 

Any of you the artistic type? I put this up on ig but I figured I might as well post it up here as well. Im looking for someone to help design a paint scheme for the bike for next year. I'll be changing it over the winter break and have no idea what to do. If one of y'all wants to whip something up in Photoshop, paint, or even on paper, I might make it happen over the winter! I'll even put your name on it.

Rules are : the wheels stay orange, the yellow number plates front and rear have to stay, and sponsor logos need to stay (placement on the bike doesn't matter, as long as they're there) the rest is fair game and up to You!

Here's a few blank canvas pics for you to start with

And a list of current sponsor logos that need to go somewhere
Ogio
Braking brakes
Shorai batteries
Odi grips
Factory effex
Fuel clothing
Pit posse

Any other logos that are currently used on the bike can be used as well, but they're completely optional. Only the ones on the list above are required.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:02 am 

Dang. I wish I was artsy like that. Sadly, I do not have the skills for such a task.

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:40 am 

4g63mightymax wrote:
Dang. I wish I was artsy like that. Sadly, I do not have the skills for such a task.

Me either, that's why I'm trying to outsource hahahahaha. There has been a little update to the paint. I had some of the paint on the belly pan bubble up from the heat of the exhaust so the entire bottom was sanded down and resprayed with a black, high temp paint. I actually like the black stripe quite a bit, it definitely changed things up a bit more than I expected.

I've spent the past 2 or 3 days breaking drill bits, learning how to remove broken drill bits, and swearing a whole lot, but most of the important bolts are now safety wired! I still need to do the radiator cap, some hoses, and the rear axle, but I've actually run out of drill bits so it will have to wait until next week. Loading the trailer up and leaving for Virginia tomorrow!

I have a few new parts on the way as well so I'll have some updates next week, along with some videos from the weekend.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:23 pm 

Nicely done! When I bought my bike it had tons of wired bolts on it. I wish I knew more of it's history.

Also - your bike looks sick!

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:39 pm 

Finally home from a seriously rough, long weekend at VIR. I'm working on pictures and a full weekend recap but for now, here's a video of my fastest lap from the weekend.

https://youtu.be/IEUF3-X6ybs

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:30 am 

First some pictures of the track. I've never been to a track like VIR before and I have to say I was very impressed. It costs a good bit more than other tracks in our area and I can easily see why, the place is huge. There's a giant paved paddock area, good size classroom and nice restrooms at both ends of the paddock.

There isn't really enough access to power in the paddock area, outlets are pretty limited and are 50 and 15 amp only, no 30 amp outlets. It probably didn't help that we didn't actually get to the track until around 1 am on Saturday morning. We slept outside under canopies with box fans all weekend, right next to my friends nice, air-conditioned trailer with no power.

I slept for an hour on Saturday morning before waking up to get ready for tech inspection at 7 am, which the bike failed due to a loose handlebar. After I tightened the bar up a bit, the bike passed without any other issues.

As far as riding the track goes, I think it's my favorite I've been to so far. It's a little like riding on a mountain road, without the risk of flying off a cliff. I'd watched plenty of videos before going but it's hard to get an idea of the elevation changes and track width changes through video. It's a little bumpy in some places, and the kink in the front straight is a little nerve-wracking, but it's definitely a fun track and worth the trip (which is about 7 hours for us), and the cost. I set consistently faster lap times throughout the weekend and got down to a 2:00.6 going easy on the straight.

I almost rear-ended this guy on the front straight around 110mph. I was working on a pass after the kink so I was coming up fast and he must have braked hard at the kink because I was on him before I knew it. I'm honestly really surprised I was able to slow down fast enough to miss him. I took the straight pretty easy after that.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:29 pm 

I guess the spacers worked! :mrgreen:

That looks like an absolute blast, makes me almost want to do the two wheel thing. Almost...

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 am

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:08 am 

300D50 wrote:
I guess the spacers worked! :mrgreen:

That looks like an absolute blast, makes me almost want to do the two wheel thing. Almost...

I think so! There are two hard braking zones at VIR and while I do have a nice vibration since I'm still riding on a warped rotor, the wheel still spins freely. Honestly the brakes on this bike surprise me every time I ride it. They're just so good. For the first couple of laps, I always end up braking waaaaay to early because I forget how fast the bike stops. Can't wait to get the full size rotors back on it, it's going to be wild.

I had ordered new rearsets before leaving for VIR to replace the riser plates I just bought. The new ones are much much more comfortable, adjustable, and all the parts are replaceable.

While replacing the shifter I also swapped the bike to GP shift. So instead of 1 down and 5 up, it's 1 up and 5 down. I never had much interest in GP shift until I found myself wanting to upshift mid-corner a couple of times at VIR and trying to get my toes under the shifter while leaning off to the right is a real pain.

I have another future project for you Walt if you're interested Finally got my hands on the brake lever guard I've been looking for since I started building this bike. All the individual parts are replaceable, but, unavailable anywhere.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:49 am 

That looks like SOOOOOO MUCH FUN. Also scary. lol

Do you have any sort of sliders or something that will protect everything if the bike were to lay down? That fancy shifter has got to be pricey, and I would think tipping the bike over would destroy it pretty quickly without some kind of sacrificial plastic slider. Thoughts?

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:39 pm 

The foot pegs and shifter pegs will hopefully break off in a crash saving the rest of the rearset assembly. I have spares for both. My bar ends should act as sliders as well. I do want to get some front and rear axle sliders at some point to help protect the axles, forks, and swing arm.

Frame sliders are typically a no no on the track. While they work great for protecting the bike in a low speed crash or a tip over, at high speeds they tend to catch the pavement or grass and make the bike flip over, which is definitely not what you want to happen.

Just like your body, If the bike falls and slides, you're usually ok. But if the bike falls and does barrel rolls across the track, you're in for some major repairs.

2016 x-pro mini moto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:54 am 

Ah yes! That makes a lot of sense. I've seen videos of bikes flipping, and there usually isn't much left when they stop. lol

2016 Subaru Impreza