progress

If you have a project that you are working on, and want to show off some work that you have done to it, post it in here!
dakinehead
Re: progress

Post by dakinehead » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:39 am

hehehe, this is gonna be a real shocker to you....
im the kinda fella that takes stuff apart and looses important things. ya, im sure nobody saw that one coming. any how, i can only find 2 of the valve cover bolts and all of the timing belt cover bolts are gone. alsoo, one bolt from where the exhaust manifold and the down pipe hook up. anybody know the sizes?????

my friend used to tell -- hard for sail with the eagles when u stay cruzing with the turkeys--- gobble gobbel . im thankful for all the people who have helped me get to this point with this truck. thankful to be free, healthy and all that...
Mark

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:55 am

The ones for the valve cover are the same size that you need for the timing cover. The differences are the lengths. Most hardware stores should carry them... OR, if you have a junkyard near you, you could go grab a pile of them for much less money. Junkyards sell bolts/screws cheap.
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza

RWD4G63

Post by RWD4G63 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:02 pm

All those bolts are 6mm 1.25 thread, of varying length.
1975 Dodge Colt (4G63T)
2012 Nissan Pathfinder (tow vehicle)

dakinehead

Post by dakinehead » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:49 pm

hello gang, today might be the day. only a few more things to hook up. thanks for the help with the sizes RWD4g63 and Jeremy. my pal came over with a 5 gallon bucket full of bolts/nuts ect... one thing that im going to have to find for my truck is the brake booster. can i take one off of some other kind of car or truck??
Mark

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Mark - it's weird for you to have a failing brake booster. What makes you think it doesn't work?
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza

dakinehead

Post by dakinehead » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:23 am

aloha Jeremy, im thinking right before the truck died i changed the part where the brake fluid goes. it was bleeding all over the place. i drove it for about a week after changing it and the brakes were very soft.

pretty much everything has been hooked up for about a week now. all i need to do is prime the turbo and hook up a couple ground wires. honestly, im feeling like a big puzzy as im scared to finish it. soooo pessimistic that something bad is going to happen.... if i drink enough tonight maybe im going to try to start it..

also,, from a long time back....,, when everything was apart, i had a super bad ass dude i met who has a proper drag car weld my down pipe into the exhaust. and i wanted him to drill a hole into the flapper piece that the waste gate opens and closes. Jeremy, a long time ago u told me there was all ready a hole. and you were right, the hole had a broken piece inside. it took him drilling for a min before he found it. any how, no more push nut lock washer to hold the thing in place. !!!!!!!
Mark

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Soft brakes are not a sign of a bad brake booster. If they are soft, you probably have air in the master cylinder or stuck in the brake lines somewhere. :)

I'm glad I could help!
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza

dakinehead

Post by dakinehead » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:45 pm

aloha Jeremy, i got my truck running today!! bugga started right up. i drove it down the road and back and i have 2 problems. im pretty sure there is a boost or vacuum leak. or it could be a fuel or air problem. still gotta figure that one out. and i was wrong about my brakes being really soft. they are, in fact very hard.

i know how to check for the boost leak so if thats the problem then im super stoked. ill keep u posted!
Mark

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:28 am

Great work mark! I'd bet you have a boost leak too! It's probably the most common reason that 4g63s don't run right.

Is your exhaust quiet now with the wastegate pipe welded up into the main pipe?
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza

dakinehead

Post by dakinehead » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:26 pm

boost leaks fixed. i forgot to tighten a couple clamps. exhaust is 1000 times nicer. so quiet. i feel like it should be a little more crisp when i push on the gas. having said that it has good acceleration. i cant go too fast till i figure out the breaks. and it sounds like i need to start with bleeding them right. cuz right now they are hard and not doing much.
Mark

89mightymax

Post by 89mightymax » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:58 pm

Im sure theres a nice big juicy burnout picture just over the horizon right?!!!!....... :-)
Jonathan

89 mighty max -4g swap in progress
04 F150 daily driver / gas hog :-/

dakinehead

Post by dakinehead » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:29 pm

i did try one small burn out in front of the pig pen. and the tires spun for a second... but i know im too stupid on the wrenching side to bother doing that stuff. however, i did put a 1&7/8 inch ball on the bumper today!! time to pull some trailer!!

i was pretty bummed out after putting around town for the past 2 weeks cut it was bleeding out oil all over the place. then my friend pointed out that i only put the outside bolts for the valve cover gasket and forgot to put the inside ones. not to mention the fact that 2 of the outside ones are stripped out. so i made all the inside ones nice and snug and he is going to help me hilicoil the 2 stripped ones.

do i need to change out the valve cover gasket after that f up???

bruddah Jonathan, if ever i do post a burnout pic, i promise it will be with my trailer and lawnmower hooked up behind me. but i got to wire up the trailer real quick.
Mark

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:22 am

Well? Is it fast and running right now?

With stock wheels and tires, you should basically be able to spin your right rear wheel in 1st-3rd gear as soon as the boost is made. Maybe even 4th. Do you have a boost gauge hooked up?
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza

dakinehead

Post by dakinehead » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:37 am

im not sure if its running like that. so far, i only pushed the gas that one time. im not driving it much yet. i still gotta fix the brakes. and its bleeding motor oil all over the earth. is there supposed to be a rubber seal attached to the cam shaft sensor? and on the passenger side of the engine, at about the same height there is a bolt; and that bolt seams to be bleeding oil also?? along with the fact that some of my valve cover bolts are stripped. ive never did the hilicoil before and this aint gonna be my first try. and, i think the oil return line from the turbo to the oil pan that i payed some local guy $130 to make for me leaks. in summary, probably about 5 oil leaks and shitty brakes. my inability to fix the easy stuff makes the fine tuning even harder. but im not going to f it up by running it before i fix it right. i promise im trying

does any body know of a web sight where i can get some three inch pipe bent go go over my rear axel
Mark

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:02 pm

Hi Mark,
- The cam angle sensor should have a rubber o-ring on it.
- The passenger side rear of the head will have a bolt in it if you aren't using that spot to feed oil to the turbo. Make sure there is a copper crush washer on the bolt.
- Try using long bolts for the valve cover, it may work.
- You can buy 3" mandrel bent pipe on eBay usually. That's where I have bought it in the past.
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza