All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: The goes-way-too-f#$king-fast-mobile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:43 am 

So what is your intention with the ABS pump from the Prius?

2016 Subaru Impreza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:16 am 

I's going to be a replacement for the 31 year old pump and accumulator on the 87 Buick Grand National powermaster brake master cylinder.

I don't have hydraulic power steering, so I can't easily use Hydroboost, a vacuum booster would be bulky and a pain to fit, and I still desire power brakes.

Simple solution is the electric pump powermaster system that was on the 86-88 turbo Buicks.
The pumps tend to be in rather poor shape after that long a service life though, so I was looking for a replacement that wasn't $400+ and came across the Prius setup.

The later Prius units have the pump+accumulator divorced from the ABS valve block, connected by a pressure line and a feed line.

01 Tibb
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:21 am

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:23 pm 

The master cylinder came in the mail today.

Now to clean it up, tear it down, and clean the guts out.

I ordered an o-ring kit, but the cup seals are apparently unobtainium.

01 Tibb
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 am 

In a strange turn of events, I actually know the guy that runs http://www.unobtaniumsupply.com/ lol He basically makes Ferrari parts that are no longer available, which is a bit different than what you are after.

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:07 pm 

I think I'll start referring to this as the G25E. Sounds like an exotic car model.

I tried to separate the outer CV joint from the Maxima driveshaft, and things did not go as planned.
The Milwaukee impact performed flawlessly, cranking up to it's rated 700 ft-lb torque.
The removal tool bent, and the damn axle has a permanent wire circlip, just like the Pathfinder one did. One time install, no user serviceable parts.

I called up Interparts on Friday, and the lovely woman in Automotive listened as I prattled on, and told me that while I can't order from them directly, there is a place fhat will be able to do exactly what I need, and was highly recommended.

I was referred to Constant Velocity of Ocala, and I will be giving them a call Monday to see what it would entail to order an outer joint for this thing. And possibly a set of custom short intermediate shafts to reduce the track width I have on paper.

No photos of the axle stuff, because CV grease is horrible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:53 am 

Long time no update.

I recently bought a copy of mazdaEdit Professional, so things are taking a slight change of plans.

I have the original RX-7 S5 harness+ECU from when I pulled the engine from the junkyard car, but my change to an RX-8 S1front cover precludes easily using the original engine management setup.

Given I am no longer constrained to a single vin number, using an RX-8 ECU seems the easier option. Not only will this allow me to use factory RX-8 front pulleys and OEM sensors, it will also let me tune things much easier.

Another added plus is easier integration with the Mazda EPS system I am going to be using.
Given there will be a factory ecu on the CAN bus, I won't need to devise a translation module to spoon-feed the EPS module what it's looking for.

I've ordered in a spare 2004 6 port ECU and engine harness to go with an underhood harness I already had, and hopefully start in on something of a franken-wankel in the next few months.

I guess I need to hear this thing run before snow flies. There. I said it. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:19 am 

Can you easily remove the anti-theft system from a RX-8 ECU? I remember battling that with mine when I was fixing the flood damage. It was fricken hard to beat. I had to get a dealer to sync the 3 modules for me. :(

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:26 am 

forscan can do the sync-dance stuff for PATS, and I know there is at least one reflash that kills the anti-theft (Racing beat?), so it is possible.

01 Tibb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 pm 

The engine harness came in a week or so ago, the underhood body harness came in earlier today, and everything plugs together peachy.
Still need to sacrifice an OBD2 extension cable or get a connector from the junkyard, then I can start in on poking at the spare ECU with mazdaEdit.
If I can't get the immobilizer stuff disabled, then I'll have to get a keyless entry unit and some other bits to trick it into behaving.

I also need to machine a 6mm thick spacer to use the RX-8 pulley hub on the RX-7 eccentric shaft.

The trigger plate lines up with the ESPS on the front cover perfectly fine, but it seems the 8's had a shorter nose on the shaft.
Without a spacer, I won't ever get a full clampdown on the hub, the e-shaft will end up floating, needle bearings will get destroyed, and I'll have big money pit problems.

Plugging the new holes in the front cover is also on the agenda, as well as a redo of the dry sump plate to suite the new cover.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:01 pm 

You can buy OBD2 pigtails super cheap on ebay/amazon. I've bought several for a variety of dumb projects. :) maybe like $8 ish?

2016 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 pm 

I'll keep that in mind. I got the extension cable for something like $6?
For me it's a matter of "bring wire cutters to the junkyard on lunch hour, leave with severed bits of car nervous system for $5 flat."

But lunch hour is hard to use for purposes like that. Lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:21 pm 

I accidentally grabbed way more RX-8 guts than I should have when eBay had their 10% coupon last week. :oops:
And then I went and got some stuff off Amazon. :roll:
And then I bought socks. :lol:
There are something like 14 packages showing up by next Tuesday.

Got a steering column with the Advanced Keyless lock cylinder setup, a bunch of immobilizer/key/keyless module stuff to make the ECU happy, a throttlebody, accelerator pedal, 2" sch40 stainless weld elbows, a divided T4 flange gasket, a set of fuel injectors, and some other stuff I'm likely forgetting.

There's been some progress on the front cover modifications as well, but I need to collect and process those photos before I can plop them up.