new to the site!!!

New member introductions. Introduce yourself!
gvr4lver
Newbville

new to the site!!!

Post by gvr4lver » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 pm

so first of all I want to thank everyone who is still on this website because it has helped me for years... I love it!

Ive finally decided to do the 4g63 swap for my 89 macro cab. it's finally time the 2.6l has 355k and I've wanted to do it for long time. I have galant vr4 as a doner car.

so my question for all of you is can I get my galant vr4 gauge cluster to work with the truck if I switch over the whole harness. I'm hoping I can because it does fit quite well with very little cutting and I have some extra parts laying around..

also I've heard of the montero 1997 2.4l brackets that bolt up to the engine to move it forward the correct amount. but do I need the stock d50 mounts or the montero ones.

any feedback would be great and thank you all again for all the efforts on keeping this alive!!

LethalEthan

Re: new to the site!!!

Post by LethalEthan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Sounds like an awesome project! Can't wait to see some progress, be sure to post some pictures and maybe a build thread.

Using the galant cluster is an interesting idea. I wanna say I've seen someone use maybe a mirage cluster before, so I bet it's possible. One of the other guys may know for sure.
Ethan
2012 Honda cbr1000rr
2005 Honda cbr f4i
2016 x-pro mini moto
1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

gvr4lver
Newbville

Post by gvr4lver » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:45 am

it's not to bad of a ride. I have the 2.0 trans that has 12k miles from an original auto swap. and a whole bunch of crazy stuff evo 9 turbo 16.5 set up. I'm hoping that it will work. this winter I plan on having it all done. so I can take it to the bushur shootout.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gvr4lver
Newbville

Post by gvr4lver » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:07 am

91 galant vr4 ecu
91 vr4 seats
89 ranger center console
tail of frame rebuilt
gauge set up from 90s suv

I'm looking to get the 4g63t in there so the wiring I can figure out but the drive shaft I'm concerned. I have another carrier bearing for the shaft. I need to figure out a spacer. but if I do that and lower it I've seen them get strange with the bend in the shaft because of the yoke. and the tuning I need to figure out. I have dsm link on my other vr4 and eclipse and love it but it's about $600 and that might be out if my price range.. I've invested about 2/3 years to get this whole collection. so I'm open to ideas..

side note I dont have very much time. to work on this thing unfortunately bc I work 75ish hrs a week and have a daughter and wife. lol.. any Input would be appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:19 am

Welcome to the HRCS!!!

Whats wrong with the VR4?! Is it trashed? Rusty? What number is it?

As for the truck - looks mint other than some dents! I love it.

Using the GVR4 harness and Montero motor mounts are both new ideas for me. I'm sure the cluster is possible, but you'd have to use the gvr4 (or dsm) dash wiring too which would likely be a bit of a nightmare to get out. I've done it and it isn't fun. Why not use the factory truck cluster? It works great. You can always just add a small digital tachometer?

Another thing you will want to consider is reinforcing your firewall, or swapping to a hydraulic clutch (or both!). The truck firewalls are super flimsy and don't work well with DSM clutch parts unless your reinforce them.

I look forward to seeing the progress!

-Jeremy
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza

gvr4lver
Newbville

Post by gvr4lver » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:22 am

thanks Jeremy!! I have been reading on this site for over a year now and I have tried reading almost every post u have made.. it's hard Btw.. lol but yes I have 2 vr4s
137/2000
874/2000
I found one while. I was passing an auto place and got it for 200$!!! but engine was trashed. and I have another summit white vr4 that I rob parts off of. I used it for scca rally cross for a bit had some fun with it. but I wanted to. use the galant harness bc it gave me a tach and at least more options. the speedo on mine is poop
. and as. far as the clutch is. there a different. way to. get the hydrolic set up to find a starion now or for that matter getting it. welded is not the easiest for me. if it was bolt on I could. get it.

LethalEthan

Post by LethalEthan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:56 pm

You have quite the collection! Love that impulse as well, that ones yours too?
Ethan
2012 Honda cbr1000rr
2005 Honda cbr f4i
2016 x-pro mini moto
1993 toyota pickup (crushed by oak)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:24 am

Holy heck that's a lot of awesome for one driveway/garage! Got any spare 4G63's you want to mail to a friend? lol

The clutch hydraulics are kind of a pain. I've seen people cobble together all kinds of weird stuff. Mine was mightymax diesel hydraulics which worked out amazing, but was a lot of work to cut and weld the trans, etc. I think if you add the starion front cover to the trans, you'd have the pivot ball for the shift fork. Then you cut a hole in the side of the bellhousing for the shift fork to go through. Then instead of cutting/TIG welding the trans, you could make some kind of bracket that bolts to the engine/trans and holds the slave cylinder. Up at the firewall, things are way easier, Just buy a clutch master cylinder from a mightmax V6 or diesel and drill a few holes. I don't recall what I did with my clutch pedal, but I probably posted pictures of it someplace. It may have been a V6/diesel clutch pedal, or something custom. I totally forget.

Also - You're making me want a VR4 again BADLY.
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza

gvr4lver
Newbville

Post by gvr4lver » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:52 am

thanks guys! yeah I have the impulse In that picture I did the stand alone with Ct26 turbo on that one. I have all 4 of my awd turbo cars! haha I have the tail section for the trans also and. the whole rear section. so I got that part. now. I. just need to. figure out about that clutch. hmm..
yeah the one vr4 I have is laying down 412hp 396 torque
at 29psi. it pretty nice. the other one was laying down more but I stripped the t case.. that one has the hx35.
that's the engine set up. I'm. putting In the truck.

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:36 am

That's good info! I wonder how difficult it is to find those mounts? I bet the Montero forums would have some!
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza

300D50
HRCS OG

Post by 300D50 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:05 am

For the ~$50 list price from the dealer directly for two, that's freaking perfect for the mounts.

I'll search ASA at some point for the tail housing info. My guess is, if there are any left, they're probably going to need shift-shafts as well.
Walt
2006 RX-8 Shinka | 2006 BMW 325xi
1991 3000GT VR4 | 1994 3000GT SL
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:02 am

On mine - I used a Starion tail housing which worked pretty great. It moved my shifter backward, and shifted like a normal truck. If you can get a startion/conquest KM132 cheap, that's a great option.
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza