The 1989 Dodge Ram D50 4G63 Turbo Engine Swap.

If you have a project that you are working on, and want to show off some work that you have done to it, post it in here!
300D50
HRCS OG
Re: The 1989 Dodge Ram D50 4G63 Turbo Engine Swap.

Post by 300D50 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:01 pm

My brother had a tierod adjuster fail on his truck, eerily similar.
Was driving, felt something WEIRD, pulled into a parking spot at a shopping center and "Oh damn...".

Worst part? We had just replaced the entire front steering joints/suspension/bushings.
Pulled the threads right out of the adjuster. Rod end threads were fine... Went back to the 30yo OEM adjusters.and got another alignment.
Walt
2006 RX-8 Shinka | 2006 BMW 325xi
1991 3000GT VR4 | 1994 3000GT SL
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

WhatDidIDo
Newbville

Post by WhatDidIDo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:09 pm

We have brought this truck so far in a very short period of time for something to be just a "project" things are moving quick lol.. So as the previous post says I snapped a tie rod. I have since replaced the cheap tie rods with Moog tie rods. As well as the ball joints, lower control arms, new front bags, exhaust, and headlights! The truck literally feels like a different truck now. So much more solid and less "floaty" than before. I also got ALOT of parts in the mail. Ill soon be relocating the fuel cell and air tank into a lockable tool box in the bed of truck, close to the cabin. I'm going to wood panel the bed as well. The picture that has been drawn out is my friend/coworker. She is interested in hand painting the truck to further grow her portfolio. That's gonna save thousands lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WhatDidIDo
Newbville

Post by WhatDidIDo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:10 pm

300D50 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:01 pm
My brother had a tierod adjuster fail on his truck, eerily similar.
Was driving, felt something WEIRD, pulled into a parking spot at a shopping center and "Oh damn...".

Worst part? We had just replaced the entire front steering joints/suspension/bushings.
Pulled the threads right out of the adjuster. Rod end threads were fine... Went back to the 30yo OEM adjusters.and got another alignment.
Yeah im not quite sure why that happened but steering components breaking terrifies me lol so no more cheap parts for me.

4g63mightymax
Site Admin

Post by 4g63mightymax » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:58 am

Whoa! This is all wild and crazy. That stinks that the tie rod end broke. What brand was it? Any idea? Also - congrats on not crashing when that happened. That was a miracle.

It's looking great! I'm thrilled to see this thing getting some miles on it. That's basically the best thing you can do for a car. And it sounds like you have worked through a bunch of the bugs, so hopefully it will be as reliable as minitrucks get going forward.

BTW - You do have an air filter on the Mass Airflow Sensor now right? I know that was missing when you first got it.
Jeremy N.
1964 Impala Convertible
1972 Pontiac Lemans
2016 Subaru Impreza